Monday, January 10, 2005

Analyzing IIS logs offline

I'm currently using Webalizer provided by my web hoster to analyze IIS logs of one of my sites but my logs accumulate fast, forcing me to move them from the remote server to my desktop. This means I can't do analysis on a wider time range on the server side. Thus, I need an offline solution, preferably easy to set up and intuitive to use.

Some googling around revealed that there's a nice lightweight Windows-based freeware analyzer, useful for analyzing web logs offline. It's called WebLog Expert Lite (WEL) and it comes with a Windows installer! :-) WEL supports IIS and Apache logs and can read GZ and ZIP compressed log. Multiple analysis profiles can be configured to analyze downloaded logs from different websites. The log reports are in HTML format incorporating nice graphical charts. Because the reports reside locally, paging through the reports is fast!

No comments: